Trapezius is a large muscle towards the back arises from the neck. The muscle performs many main functions of our body. The most important out of them all is lifting the head upwards and shrugging off the shoulder. It also facilitates movement, rotation and stabilization of shoulder blade.
Trapezitis is an inflammation caused in the trapezius muscles that leads to pain and spasm in the neck. It is increasingly becoming common among people working at desk, using computers and also those who do physical labor or use their neck and back muscles a lot.
- Bad posture
- Carrying the weight of golf club during the play puts under stress on the muscle.
- Unsupported hand during the play creates tension in the muscle.
- Repeatedly keeping the head still or down during the swing.
- Signs and symptom
- Pain/radiating pain down to arm, forearm or hands
- Stiffness / tightness
- Working for a long period in the same position.
- Reading a book in an awkward position for a prolonged period.
- Driving for long distances.
- Watching television in the same or an awkward posture for long time.
- Breast feeding.
- Some people may also experience trapezitis, due to weak muscles of the neck and back, which may have resulted from other health conditions or injuries.
GOALS OF PHYSIOTHERAPY
- Improves pain through advanced modalities
- Reduces inflammation.
- Reduces spasm
- Reduces tightness.
- Increases strength : resisted band exercises
- Alignment correction through manual therapy.
- Taping technique
- Laser therapy for instant pain relief